I love eating out. Just because I'm am living a low carb keto diet way of eating doesn't mean I have to make all my meals at home or avoid eating out with friends. I still eat at all my favorite restaurants and you can too. You just need a few simple guidelines to customize your order to fit your low carb high fat way of eating.
6 Tips for Low Carb Dinner, Lunch or Brunch at your Favorite Restaurants
- Look for meals where you can easily omit the carbs such as a salad at your local Chipotle restaurant. You can order the salad without the rice and add some extra meat.
- Ask to have your cheeseburger or sandwich wrapped in lettuce rather than bread. At the local In and Out Burger restaurant near me, I ask for Protient Style with extra cheese. You can do this a McDonalds and Wendy's restaurants too. You would be surprised how many places have a no bun, no bread option available off-menu.
- Ask for the nutritional information on menu items. Hidden carbs can be in unexpected places such as pancake batter being added to omelets like the IHOP restaurants do.
- Look for menu items naturally low in carbs such as a good steak, green veggies or guacamole. Even at a Mexican restaurant, you can find meat and cheese readily available.
- Ask for lemon or lime to add to your water or sparkling water. Or if the restaurant serves cucumbers on their salad as for a side of cucumber too and make a nice spa inspired flavored water to go with dinner. No need to drink just for plain water.
- If you have a sweet tooth and you're missing desserts see if they have fresh or frozen berries. Top them off with some heavy whipping cream. For a dessert ask for berries with heavy cream.
If you have more tips please share them below in the comments. Thanks!
For a list of Low Carb Keto foods
Our low carb keto orders at Chipotle